Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fruitfulness


 
If you've ever planted a garden, you know the joy of watching the flower turn to fruit. You powder your plant with insect killer and pull the inevitable weeds. When you enjoy and share your fresh zucchini or beans, you experience the satisfaction that only a gardener knows.

As fruit bearers because of Christ's life in us, we can also bring our Gardener much pleasure (John 15). Productivity reflects well on God's care and nourishment. His sap in us is life giving. Christ in me (Colossians 1:27). Christ interested in me. Christ intent on revealing His ways so I can obey and benefit.

As I act on what He reveals, I can be confident of remaining in His love and producing fruit of His planting. I will develop a heightened sense of His life in my mind, body and spirit, and the mature fruit I bear will speak well of the Gardener, my Creator.

Inevitably, God shares His fruit through me with others. They too can discover the love I have found in Christ.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Today, I invite you to slowly read these verses. Then listen for God's revelations as you meditate.

This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.... 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other (John 15:8-11,16-17).

I encourage you to jot down what you discern.

As you bear the fruit of Christ-in-you, may you realize the joy you bring your heavenly Gardener. 

No comments: