Sunday, October 30, 2011

Song of Life, Song of Death

 

Still fingering the passage of my mother from this life to the one her Lord Jesus promised, I don't have too many words.

But my cousin, Elizabeth A. Mitchell, another writer and speaker, wrote a beautiful piece on her blog.  Her daughter-in-love labored to give birth to her first grandchild while my Mom labored to be birthed into her new life.

I couldn't have said it as well as Elizabeth, so here are her words from blog.journeyfortheheart.com

 “I have come that you may have life and have it to the full” John 10:10.


 Life and death walk hand in hand like comrades sharing a narrow path, pressed against each other, inhaling and exhaling the very same air.

This week I caught them both, peering at each other, thriving in the cramped confines of the same cubicle. A daughter of mine, grafted into my heart three years ago, labored to draw breath, battled to bear down, every ounce of her given to the grand cause of bringing her daughter into existence.

Before my eyes our miracle emerged, pale skinned, perfect lips, quivering cry. Then distinctly I heard the strains of a new song, for my granddaughter cried, and my heart plays still her first magical lullaby.


Seven days pass and I watched as death wrapped its arms around life, and life triumphed over death. As my aunt struggled for breath, she labored to leave the world behind and wrestled to reach the other side. Death bore down, but could not steal her away for the only part it grasped was her empty shell.


Beating within her heart was life that was made eternal by the Savior of her soul. We had watched our aunt live well, serving him whole-heartedly, and sharing him continuously. Now we witnessed as she emerged into life everlasting.


I watched two women make their way into their new world this week. The tiny one has just begun her days on earth. The wise one has just begun her forever in heaven. My prayer is that the first will imitate the footsteps of the second and choose to spend her years devoted to the one who is, “The way, the truth and the life” John 14:6.


Elizabeth A. Mitchell

No comments: