Tuesday, June 28, 2011

God's Comfort

If I let myself listen to multiple demands talking at once, I feel overwhelmed.  Despair joins the conversation, and they drown trust's voice.

In my small group I shared a complex situation for prayer. Instead of keeping me on the pedestal often reserved for pastors' spouses, the women responded with understanding and prayer. One new friend even stayed beyond the class, sharing her experience and the discoveries that helped her weather a similar season in her life.

Prayer, exercise, attending to her own needs, and cutting out activity that was good, but which overextended her energies: those were the lessons she shared.

Sometimes we need encouragement from sojourners who not only have survived the trenches but, there, have been transformed by the Lord. They can stand in the gap and minister God's comfort.

Thank you, Lord, for the dear people You provide to stand in the gap for me. Please continue to transform my life so my experiences will point to You.

For Your Consideration

"Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2, NLT).

"[God] comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us" (2 Corinthians 1:4, NLT).

Remember a time when God encouraged you directly through His Word, or indirectly through a friend. Ask yourself what helps you share or withhold your problems.

Give God praise for the ability to share your burdens and find comfort from our dear heavenly Father.

Celebrate God's amazing grace in using our suffering to encourage others with His comfort.

No comments: