Saturday, April 9, 2011

Stouthearted

When I called, you answered me
You made me bold and stouthearted  (Psalm 138:3, NIV).

Don't you love the image? Stouthearted. A sturdy, stuffed heart bulging with God who's come to live in us.

Stouthearted is not a word I normally use, but I have been savoring it the last few days.

Helping care for our Mother who now needs around the clock care, looking for flexible work in a strange economy, watching people get blown up all over the world, knowing we are in precipitous times, these tempt me to wilt. My heart sometimes feels punctured. Deflated.

Walking around wilted and thin-hearted does little good. When I call out to the Lord He answers.

Sometimes God reveals a course of action or a scripture to pray. Sometimes I call friends to pray for and encourage me. Sometimes I quiet myself by leaning into Jesus' breast. I put my deflated heart against His sturdiness, breathe in heaven's breath, and let the Holy Spirit remind me of God's presence.

Then, like a pump steadily inflating a leaky tire, fresh strength flows into my heart. I'm able to go on. Stouthearted.

For Your Consideration

What does "stouthearted" mean to you?

What situations are deflating your strength. What do you need to ask God for?

No comments: