Thursday, February 25, 2010

When the Kitchen Sink Backs Up


Last night I washed my dishes in the bathtub. That's because I couldn't rinse them easily in the basin -- my first choice after the kitchen sink.

Earlier that day, I'd worked on the plugged kitchen sink: baking soda, vinegar, hot water. Repeated applications. I got the bubbling going, but no real release of whatever the problem was.

So I pulled out the big guns and emptied my bottle of gel Drano. Some bubbling, but not enough.

I'd heard something that sounded a little odd in the garbage disposal, but didn't feel anything with a hand search. So I promptly moved on to the next thing.

The plumber arrived today. He had to do underground work: dismantle and drain the pipes, so he could solve the problem.

So like our spiritual lives, isn't it?

If there is a little thing clogging our relationship with God, we need to deal with it and keep the drains open. If not, it can attract other junk and lay dormant or hidden from view till it causes you an unpleasant STOP.

No wonder God calls us to confess our sins to one another (James 5:16), pour out our hearts to Him (Psalm 62:8), and ask for a clean heart and a renewed spirit (Psalm 51:10). When we notice something that's not quite right, we do well to look more closely, and as soon as possible, instead of hurriedly going back to our busy routines.

Regularly praying Psalm 51 makes us proactive in asking for God to deep clean and reveal what junk needs to be confessed, what attitude needs to be developed, and what fruit of the Spirit needs to be nurtured.

"Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin....

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me....

Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."
Psalm 51:2,10,12 (NIV)

For Your Consideration

Is there some attitude that could harden into a block if unattended by you and the Holy Spirit?

Would you invite God's counsel on an issue that needs attention?

No comments: