Wednesday, January 12, 2011

SWIT It!

For some reason, we still have gnats in winter. I think they live in the house plants and fly across my line of vision. I notice them when I'm reading. Sometimes I ignore them, more often I try to swat them. I stop reading and "slap and slide." It's the only way I'm guaranteed they won't slip through my hands.

Negative thoughts come to be from left field too. I can ignore them hoping they'll go away but, like gnats, they'll often circle and come back to annoy me.

But, I'm learning to SWIT them. SWIT is an acrostic my husband and I have started using: "Speak What Is True."

Truth always sets us free. Sometimes I need courage or information to SWIT it, but as I ask people who love me to give me more objective input, I can gain a better perspective on my situation. Sometimes, there is only One who loves me AND has the perspective to help me SWIT it. So I ask for help.

While the truth of my situation may not be immediately obvious to me, as I look to Jesus I learn how to SWIT -- and swat -- those gnats. One at a time.

Then I am free to focus on the task at hand for God's glory! 

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION
Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" (John 8:31-32, NIV).

What do you think it means to know the truth? How might you need the truth to set you free?
Can you make a connection to John 14:6? Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life."
What step can you take to know Jesus Christ better so you can SWIT more effectively?

The photo was found at www.apartmenttherapy.com where they have an answer to gnats in your plants! Let me know if you have success.

No comments: