Saturday, November 27, 2010

Confession

If you're like me, confession does not come easily.

It's painful to take a look at attitudes you'd rather not acknowledge. A simple thing like mild annoyance that rises when you don't get your own way or full grown anger that flares when you have been crossed are signals for confession. Other signs could be fear crawling in the shadows or insecurity leading to uneven ground away from the Rock of Ages.

Confession, the "C" of the ACTs model of prayer, is hard. But it is like presenting yourself to the doctor, revealing the infection in your body, and waiting for the prognosis and the cure. Sometimes it is quick and painless. Sometimes it calls for a deeper incision than you would choose, but it allows you to rid your body of the poison that the Creator never intended for you to absorb.

Telling the Great Physician your discovery sits you in His office. There you can listen for His instructions on how to get whole.


FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

"If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts" ( John 1:8-10, New Living Translation).

Examine your life with the Great Physician's help. Is there any attitude or habit that you need to confess?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you still keep bringing me back to the Holy one. This time "fear" was the target trigger. I want to do my best for him. The voice of doubter strikes. My response should be to ask the Holy Spirit if I am on the right path... sometimes I get slow to ask and let the fear nibble at me. Thanks for the reminder the fear could also be something I have not confessed. Do miss you! Holly

Paula Gast said...

I hear you!
Since I'd asked the Lord to reveal my blind spots some years ago, He graciously does -- patiently, for I'm not always ready to admit the truth about the areas I need to confess.
I know you will continue to be a life-changing blessing in your church. Your vulnerability with Immanuel will be a light and a joy as you lead God's people toward Him.
I miss you too.