Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Adoring God

"I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom”                         (Psalm 145: 1,3, NIV).

You’d think that adoring God would be easy-- like pouring sweet praise over your lover or speaking with abandon to a gurgling baby.

But I’ve found that it’s not always easy.

In fact, to adore God I have to prime my heart with praise from scripture. If I am preoccupied with a concern, I don’t praise easily. But when I recall God’s prior revelations, I can refocus. That creates an expectant gaze which helps me to move to praise.

When praise doesn’t come easily, I choose to look to Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-3). When I do, my whole being can tell a difference. That’s because adoration takes me into God’s presence.

Adoring God (the first part of the ACTS acrostic: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication) opens windows to fresher air than I breathed a minute before. Adoring God opens my eyes to see the eternal impinging on my day, the power of the Most High poised to act consistently with His good purposes.

Adoring God can bring fresh life to a tired body. It can bring hope to my flagging spirit and the Prince of Peace to a pocket of pain. I might still need sleep, but now I’m aware of Christ's enabling presence with me.

How better to start a day – or finish it – than to adore the most lovely Being who loves us!

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

What helps you focus on Christ’s amazing presence?

What benefits do you experience when you adore God?

No comments: