Friday, July 20, 2012

The Brown Shirt

A brown shirt on a passing motorcyclist caught my eye. I couldn't read most of the white print, but deciphered 1 Peter 5:7. Somehow, I knew it was for me.

When I got home, I read and meditated on the verse and its context.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (NIV)

Several weeks of poor communication and misunderstanding with someone I love had been wearing on me. I had been trying to navigate choppy waters and had allowed anxieties to build. Surprising behavior had kicked off intense frustration, and my tension persisted with each wave.

The brown shirt reminded me of forgotten instructions for challenging times. God's Spirit used it to help me empty my anxieties while in my heavenly Father's arms. It also reminded me that more was involved than I could see.  I needed to humble myself... cast my anxiety on him... resist the devil...stand firm in faith.

The passing motorcyclist has no idea how God used his shirt in my life. Amazing, isn't it, how God uses ordinary triggers for extraordinary grace?! 

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Read and meditate on 1 Peter 5:6-11.

Is there an attitude or behavior that you need to humbly give God? Do you trust His care for you?

Since you have an enemy intent on your demise, what practical step can you take to resist and stand firm in your faith?

How might God use a simple gift of yours to impact others?

Take at least 30 seconds to thank the God of all grace who, himself, restores and makes you strong.

No comments: