Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Blessings

Our daughters have arrived, cranberry biscotti is dwindling in the jar, and we sometimes have thoughtful discussions around coffee and our Advent readings from Regent College-- all great blessings in my books.

I'm not always consistent about Advent readings, but this year's have stirred my thoughts and brought many insights. Regardless of what we face this Advent, whether we have loved ones close by or not, I pray we will encounter Immanuel. Today.

"God with us" is precious. Whether we ponder God's coming to us through the vulnerability of a newborn or the need of a homeless person, whether in a loved one's passing or memories that make us long for old relationships, all our situations are opportunities to discover that God, indeed, is with us. Even when life is messy.

The reality of embracing Immanuel transforms our lives.

Immanuel draws us like the Baby filled with the God of love. As sojourners longing for glimpses of Home, we can be happy that God comes to make His home, now. In our arms.

Come, Lord Jesus! We welcome You!

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/c/ocomocom.htm


Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
("O Come, O Come Emmanuel," Author unknown)

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Where would you like to encounter Immnanuel in your life?

Where do you need His love, and to whom will you take His love?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is Christmas night and I am at work. I have just begun "Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by John & Stasi Eldrege. Have you read this? Thoughts are flooding in, many things, mysteries, seem to be coming together--connecting. Many things we talked of, and yet clearer maybe even more palpable. Thick fog is moving around and allowing brief glimpses of thoughts and images never captured before. I am truly excited. I will be in touch by email. I hope I can stay focused and absorb it all. Merry Christmas!

Paula Gast said...

No, I haven't read that. You are obviously deeply moved by it. Wonderful! Looking forward to hearing more.
Trust the New Year will be packed with more insights, more contentment, more influence.