Thursday, August 12, 2010

Living Fully at the Cash Register


I pushed the wheelchair to the register without the dress we were hoping for.

It was Mum’s first shopping trip in two years since her illness. Looking for suitable clothing had tired her out so I was conscious of the small talk the cashier was making with the customer ahead of us. If she wouldn’t chit-chat with her friends, I thought, we could get through more quickly.

When it was our turn, I found her warm -- not merely professional. I realized then that she was as genuinely friendly to us as she was to her previous customers. She directed us to where the better dresses were, and we wheeled over to them.

Our second time through the line, I complimented her on her outstanding customer service. As I completed the form she offered me to write my commendations to management, I couldn’t help but wonder if she might be a Christ follower: she was extraordinarily personable.

She efficiently took care of the sale, while she told us how she loved her job and considered it a blessing to be there. “I had been down for many, many months with an immune system disorder, not thinking I would ever recover.”

“But God is good and I’m now able to work again. Glory to God!”

No wonder, she was uncommon. Her can-do attitude was probably shaped, or at least strengthened, during her illness. Now her eyes and voice reflected an uncommon love of life and people.

I suspect it may have been the powerlessness she experienced during her illness that propelled her into God's great power to conquer and live fully in each moment.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? ... No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. (Romans 8:35, 37, NIV)

For Your Consideration

Consider how your daily life might be transformed if you realized your health was in jeopardy.

How might you give your frustrations to Christ?

Meditate on the love of Jesus Christ pouring into your life at your point of greatest need.

No comments: