Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One Little Word


This morning I read Hebrews 12:2 in the New King James Version. It says, “Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.”

It was “unto” that first got my attention. I tried substitutes: “toward,” “up to,” “at,” and wondered how the different nuances might affect the way I looked to Jesus. Then I noticed my study bible had an explanation of “looking” from the Greek word, “aphorao.”

It is made of 2 words: apo, “away from,” and horao, “to see.” It denotes attention that is riveted to the object; undivided attention, without distraction, so the onlooker’s gaze is fixed on one object.

The New International Version translates the phrase, “Fix your eyes on Jesus.”

What happens when I rivet my eyes on Jesus? Or gaze upon His beauty? What if I lock in to try and absorb grandeur or power beyond my comprehension?

Is that how Jesus looked to His Father? Is that how He could stay on His Father’s track when hoards of people clamored for His attention and needed quick fixes?

I suspect Jesus’ early hours with His Father were extremely focused. He knew the value of the relationship, of locking eyes, focusing, and keeping the main thing the main thing.

I must try to remember this word -- aphorao (af-or-ah-oh).

Oh! Oh the wonder when I see Him, when I really look TO Him. It’s that look, that gaze, that persevering focus that keeps me encouraged. He endured past the cross and the shame. Because of His persistent focus, He pushed past weariness and finished His earthly assignment.

With His returned look, so will I.

For Your Consideration
What helps you fix your eyes on Jesus?
What helps you keep distractions to a minimum?

No comments: