Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My People


Today, I was drawn to the phrase "My people," from the familiar passage, 2 Chronicles 7:14.

I thought of how intentionally God creates a people for Himself. The author of true life and love wants to deliver, lavish love, and form His people into a holy group. God’s love in Christ includes each heart that says “Yes” to all the King’s holy purposes. Those purposes include the joy of worshiping the one true God.

But, all-knowing, our Lord speaks a caveat.

“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

God had warned them … several times… prior to this occasion of the temple dedication. If they obeyed or disobeyed, they would reap consequences in the fruitfulness of their homes, land, and in their relationships with the neighboring nations.

"When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people... will humble themselves… and seek my face…”

God knew those times would come. God knew that His people, who were excited in their new temple, would later slide into worshiping gods of their own making though they continued their religious rituals.

We are so like the Israelites. And God's kindness and forgiveness are still as reliable as the sunrise.

Like a groom desiring his betrothed, like a father instructing his children, and like a hen protecting her chicks, the Covenant Keeper provides ways to re-establish relationship and restore covenant. If we will turn again to the Lord, He will forgive us. If we will seek His face above all others, God promises to heal our land.

Are you one of God's people?

For Your Meditation

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light" (1 Peter 2:9, NIV).

As one of God's people, are you good advertising?

No comments: