Sunday, October 25, 2009

Withered Grass


Aunt Kay left for heaven on Thursday night. She went peacefully, but after months of waning health. She was ready and willing to go. One last breath ushered in the unseen.

Ninety long years left in that last breath. Like scorched grass, her frail body was left in a hospice bed, while her spirit slipped unseen to a rich eternal life. Christ’s presence was there. Immanuel (her favorite name for Christ) was with us. As she left for eternity, we thanked God for receiving her, even as we grieved. (See Psalm 90.)

Another day, One agonized for us, His breath excruciating, till he gave up His Spirit. “It is finished.”

That same Jesus Christ, now risen, comforts us in our grief. Because He was obedient to death (Philippians 2:8), He opens the doorway to eternal life.

Watching Aunt Kay cross that threshold reminded me that Jesus redeems our suffering. When Jesus, with the Father's love, said yes to the cross, He opened our prison doors. When she said yes to Jesus’ love, she started becoming free. Thursday, when she left for Home, she was fully freed (John 14:1-6).

Eventually, we will box her belongings and sort though photographs and trinkets that were special to her. These photos of unknown people and places have little value to us: faded memories on faded paper. I keep remembering the old adage: “Only one life, ‘twill soon be past. Only what’s done for Christ will last.”

I am very thoughtful these days, thinking of the withered grass image Psalm 90:5 uses. What’s the value in all her beautiful belongings? They too will be gone one day. I will too.

In Psalm 90:12 Moses prays:

Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

It’s a good prayer.

For Your Consideration:

How can the light of eternity give you a fresh perspective?

What do your time and money say about your real values?

Will you take time for God’s love to satisfy and fill you with joy?
(See Psalm 90:14)

2 comments:

Dianna Woolley said...

Although not a recent loss of my mother, I was grieving or I should say remembering last evening as I sorted through "my" box (as opposed to the boxes my siblings have) of old photos. Many revelations have come to us since our mother's death and these precious photos delighted me - in my recognition of the familiar faces and of my more than ever curiosity over the unfamiliar ones. Yes, I'm ever mindful, maybe a little too mindful, some time of my time left on this side of eternity. These frail photo pieces are extraordinarily precious as a reminder of my mortality and of the preciousness of remembering the loved ones that are with me no more.

shauna said...

i have heard many of aunt kay's words of wisdom via samira. what a beautiful woman!

also, i feel like my time and money do say a lot about what i genuinely value. unfortunately, it is almost impossible to live for any extent of time in this world and your time and money to reflect what you truly value. the tension is strong and a tight rope to walk.