Wednesday, August 31, 2016

You Just Gotta Keep Looking


Six thirty and wide awake before my alarm, I swung my feet to the floor and went into the living room. I opened the blinds to whorled plumes as if an unseen hand had been painting with a giant pinwheel. I couldn't help but smile, and watched mesmerized as it spead throughout the sky.

Soon, pink clouds stretched as far as I could see. The heavens were declaing the glory of God. In my little space, I grinned and applauded for the Creator of marvels.

I turned on the burner under my tea kettle and put away the clean dishes. By time I was back, the sky had put on drab clothes. No more pinks, just indistinct, dark clouds casting dreariness on the morning ahead.

It happened quickly. I thanked the Lord I'd been wakened so I could see The Creator's spectacular sky.

To receive this gift, I chose to get up before the alarm, open the blinds and position myself to look. Then I chose to take time to watch the display unfold. Lastly, I chose to be thankful. Though engaging  colors had been replaced by morose gray, I reminded myself that amazing blue was behind the heavy veil and the sun would be out another time.

We've all seen God's amazing dawns. We've also experienced countless other gifts--undeserved, but joyfully given by the Father of Lights. The gray morning lows that follow beautiful dawn highs can remind us that, if we keep looking for signs of God's amazing handiwork, we will again see unexpected surprises.


FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Meditate on James 1, especially verses 12-17.

God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation.... Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens (verses 12 and 17, New Living Translation).

When your view changes from sunshine to clouds, what focus helps you endure the dark spell?

How could your discoveries encourage a friend to endure trying times?

Choose a word or phrase to help you stay steadfast when your circumstances change.



No comments: